Sunday, April 14, 2013

Math Games Equal Fun Learning!

I am a HUGE fan of using Math Games in the classroom.  My students love doing ANYTHING that's in the form of a game.  I don't think they've quite figured out that it is actually learning...haha.

Don't you just LOVE when BAM...out of nowhere an idea comes to you.  That's what usually happens with me anyway!  I saw these cute fly swats at the Walmart check out for $1 each.  They only had these two colors, so of course, I got one of each.  I KNEW I would make a game with them!






To play this game, simply put the numbers on the table.  The two teams line up on opposite sides of the table.  Each player has the fly swat in hand and must be the first to "SPLAT" the correct number.

In 2nd grade, one of the new Common Core standards is for students to know addition and subtraction math facts to 20 FLUENTLY.  This game helps with that aspect...you've got to be quick!


Click on the picture below to grab your own free copy.  If you can't find these fly swatters, just use regular ones.  Your kiddos will LOVE the game anyway!



I offer lots of games with all of my products in my TPT store.  (Did I mention I'm a firm believer in the power of games??)

This unit is a variety of math games that can be used for many different levels and grades.

 Just click on this picture to go to my store and see what all is included.

Try some math games in your room.  You and your kiddos will LOVE them!



















4 comments:

  1. We used to play "swat - a - word" with the word wall words. The game was the same concept except we wrote the words on the chalkboard before swatting them with the fly swatters. I may need to try a swatting game again. The students did love it. Thanks for the reminder and a new spin on a memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun game also. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of games in the classroom as well- especially for math! I'm going to be posting about a ton of time games later tonight! Thanks for the freebie! I have regular fly swatters in my classroom but those are adorable! :)

    Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! I am not sure I can handle the noise second graders might make swatting the tables...maybe this is a rug activity for me! Must lay my hands on those swatters, though...they are great!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete